Sunday, March 28, 2010

More Centuries and some good mountain bike rides

Rode my third Brattloboro loop in 8 days this past week. Last year I think I only rode 100 miles once of twice, so three times in one week is a drastic increase. This past century was particularly hard, with a killer head wind combined with killer pulls from everyone made for some really tough riding. Normally drafting reduces your effort when you are behind people, but the way the wind was coming there was almost no relief, so you were either pulling directly in the wind or doing an equivalent effort! It was really hard, but that seemed to be the general consensus amongst everyone else as well, so that is always a good sign. Either way, the back was easier with the tailwind and a reduced overall pace, and I felt pretty good when I got home. I then went to upload the exercise file to my computer..... but it was not there!!! This was a heartbreaker because the first half of the ride was so hard, and my power numbers would have been great, it was pretty disappointing. But, what are you going to do?

For the weekend I was originally going to go down to Princeton, NJ to race collegiate road bikes, but I decided to stay back to get work done instead. On the bright side this opened the door for some MTB rides. Sean and I hit the woods both Saturday and Sunday, and although the temperature was a little cold, we were running some pretty hot laps :). Check out some pics from the end of our ride on Saturday:



On Sunday we went to ride the technical trails, and as Sean put it we did out first ride of the year. What he meant was that he got a flat tire! And after using all of our supplies, my rear tire than started losing air, perhaps Sean was right, maybe the season does not really start till you get a flat in the woods.

After a pretty good meal on Sunday, when it got to be later in the evening I was still hungry, and for the first time I can remember I wanted chocolate. I am not sure about your beliefs in evolution or creationism, but I made something that could be applied to both theories, my creation is seen below:

What you are looking at is toast with peanut butter, banana, and Saunders hot fudge (Grandpa be proud), I call it the Peanut Butter Delicious. From an evolutionary standpoint it started as peanut butter and toast, then evolved with banana pieces, and for its ultimate adaption it covered itself with chocolate. From a creationary view I am pretty sure the Lord would have made this thing on the 7th day for a snack after all his hard work the previous week. Either view point, I believe we can all agree that this thing is suited very well for consumption as a late night snack!

3 comments:

Caroline said...

Great job with all the riding Mike- keep up the good work! And that Peanut Butter Delicious looks amazing. Not only is the fudge an extra special treat, but even the way you sliced the bananas is revolutionary. I have so much to learn Sensei.

Dad said...

Great blog Mike. Glad you are back on it. Maybe I will try one of your creations after I ride over 300 miles in a week. Or maybe just 30 miles (age adjusted ratio)
Talk to you soon,
Love dad

Mom said...

I don't know what I enjoy more...your blog entries or Caroline's comments! Love the pictures too:)