Saturday, November 1, 2008

This Weekends Interesting Rides

This was one of the most interesting weekends on a bike in a little while. Friday evening I went out on a ride to a park down the street just to get out for a little bit, and as it was getting dark I brought my light. So I rode around for a while and then decided to turn around, and it turns out I did not know which way I came from. So I went in the direction I believed I should travel in, and well I started going up hill and I was pretty sure this was the wrong way. I kept on going this way in hopes of coming out on a familiar trail, although it was totally dark so nothing looked the same. Long story short, this did not happen, I ended up hopping from rock to rock in knee deep rivers and rode in one direction until I finally came out on a road, and managed to get back home. Below is a map of where I believe I was, the red point is my exit point, the blue line is my route back home and the blue point is home (click on the map to expand). So getting lost in unfamiliar woods at night is not a good thing, but here I am telling you about it!


Saturday was a 4 hr road ride on some new roads, nice weather and overall a nice ride, until the last mile that is. I was at 68.7 miles or something and wanted to make it an honest 70, so I rode about 1 mile down the road. I turned around and then got a flat, I could almost see my house! So I fixed it, and then I needed a bit more distance so I took the long way home, and guess what, another flat! Oh man I had to walk the rest in and only ended up with 69.8 miles, oh well pretty close. Check out the French King Bridge over the Connecticut River, pretty nice view.


Sunday was a 3 hr Mountain bike ride in the local trails. It was a rough ride, I got another flat and when trying to repair it the metal washer on my rim strip was stuck, so I had to rip off the valve, ruining the rim strip and then putting a new tube in. Then on the last descent I was ripping around this corner and I slide out and hit the ground hard, and ended up digging my thumb into the ground. The thumb is not doing and well, and tomorrow I am going to head in for an xray, lets hope its not broken.

All of this adds up to another weekend of good riding, even considering all the mishaps.

2 comments:

unc rene said...

Mike,

I hope you can give us a "thumbs up" that nothing is broken. (sorry, I couldn't resist) Seriously, I hope you are ok.

Any chance you might consider adding general information to the Bike Blog? I'd love to see some pic's of your pad and the U-Mass campus.

PS: If you hear of any companies hiring Engineers with MBA's, please let me know.

Cindy said...

Sounds like you have your fathers luck!! ha-ha.
Glad to hear you are ok.
Love you
Aunt Cindy
PS: If you hear of any sales jobs.....