Saturday, August 25, 2012

Berkshire Highlands Pentathalon

To describe this event I think that the official website description does it best:
The first annual Berkshire Highlands Pentathlon features many of the best outdoor adventures in our area. The five events - a 10k trail run, 23 miles of road biking, 5 miles of kayaking, a mile to the top of the mountain and a downhill ski to the finish - can only happen on the same day at the turn of the seasons. It may be a bit cold for road biking and kayaking and a bit warm for skiing, but where else can you do it all on the same day?

That's right, five events, too cold for biking too warm for skiing, just perfect for awesome! I was very excited for this event because a) it is very unique, b) the proceeds for the race go to preserving the beautiful woods of Western Massachusetts, and c) I was part of a two member team, the other member, my wife Caroline!

The race started with a 10k trail run, which Caroline took care off. She did an awesome job, running up and down the muddy hills and doing it all very quickly. Below you can see a picture of the start.

 


After Caroline finished the run she tagged off to me.  I then hammered around the 23 mile course, up the many hills and managed to stay pretty warm on the balmy 35 degree day.  Below you can see me coming into the bike finish.


After the bike I hopped into the kayak and made my why down the rapids.  The water was frigid and flowing fast, it was quite intimidating.  I managed to make it down the river without falling in, but just barely, this was a very cold and at times scary as I was fighting to stay upright down the rapids. 


I finally got out the the river (it seemed like it took forever!), and I tagged back to Caroline so she could start her run up the ski hill.  Below you can see her run right after the tag off!


Caroline made it up the ski hill, and it was time to ski down the tiny patch of snow that was left.  I managed to wind my way throught the gates and through the finish!  You can see the ski course below.


This was a great experience.  It was a truly unique event and althought it was cold, wet, and exhausting, Caroline and I both had a great time.  We both decided that we are going to do this event next year!!!  You can see our team at the finish line below!
 

No comments: